Firstly, we moved the Sirah and the Petit Verdot from one stainless steel tank to another.
The Petit Verdot was smelling a bit of farts and hydrogen! So the airing it got did it a lot of good – it was smelling a lot better after the racking.
We did it by hand: filling a container from the tap at the bottom of the tank, and then pouring the container directly into the new tank from the open top.
The Sirah was smelt a bit ‘closed’ or of being enclosed, but no farts.
We also racked the Garnacha 2010 for the first time this year, so there was a lot of lees and gunge at the bottom of the tank.
We’re very happy with the way these three wines are turning out.
On the spur of the moment we decided to rack some of the Garnacha to an old oak barrel (+5 years old) as another experiment, just to see how it will evolve.
So first we rinsed out the barrel and then we burnt a piece of sulphur inside it.
Another thing about pumps (and this one in particular) is that they are far too powerful and move the wine far too fast.
Not as bad as it looks - we only lost a few liters before switching the pump off! After cleaning up the mess, I got to write on the barrel with a piece of chalk!
Lastly, and we racked 2000 l of Tempranillo. A bit of bad news here: when we went to open the pneumatic cover, we discovered that it was already open! We forgot to seal it last time we opened it a few month ago. This means that the wine has been in contact with the air (oxygen) all this time.
Not a disaster, but not optimal, and of course really annoying, as we had the use of a beautiful stainless steel with a hermetic seal which we haven’t made use of through our own silly error! Anyway, the wine is fine. We poured about 100 l down the drain, though – the top 25 cm , nearest the surface in contact with the air. Another lesson learnt!